In the field of education, we have volunteer opportunities in Western Australia at Scitech or in Queensland at Patricks Road State School. Information on these exciting volunteer opportunities is below!
- What’s the organisation? Scitech is a highly successful education/entertainment attraction in the city of Perth, Western Australia. It is a hands-on science centre, founded in 1988 whose mission is to increase interest, participation, awareness and capability by all Western Australians in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Scitech runs programs and exhibitions designed to engage the WA community into science and technology. Scitech’s hands-on approach to learning attracts over 300,000 visitors each year to its facility in City West and its Outreach arm tours extensively across the state, reaching over 165,000 West Australians. AFS have worked in partnership with Scitech for over 8 years, with up to 3 volunteers per year enjoying placements there.
- What will the volunteer do? Scitech offers a unique experience in science communication, as well as working with children in a very positive and dynamic work environment. Volunteers will communicate about science with visitors and school students, running educational programs and helping with special events. Processing memberships and helping with a range of administration tasks. The volunteer might even be asked to join the Scitech ‘Road Show’, joining the team in travelling around Western Australia taking different exhibits to schools! Scitech has very well supported and organised volunteer program which includes great orientation, training and support.
- What are the requirements? Good English and communication skills are highly desirable. Further eligibility requirements can be found under the ‘Requirements’ section below.
- Who will this suit? Must have a passion or at least an interest in science, technology and education. An interest in working and communicating with children from preschool to teens is also preferable. Someone interested in working with a vibrant and creative workforce of science educators is desirable.
- Location? Perth, Western Australia
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a year or semester with Scitech
- More information: www.scitech.org.au
Patricks Road State School
- What’s the organisation? This is a school and their mission is to educate (academically and socially) students to become life long learners. The school was founded in 1977 and continues to be a school where excellence is achieved. We cater for students from Prep to Year 6 and provide a balanced education for all.
- What will the volunteer do? The volunteer will assist students both in and out of the classroom. They will support students in their learning, provide extra assistance when we have special events and support our administrative staff with office duties. Class learning groups (literacy and numeracy) are a key responsibility as is supporting teachers in preparing lessons. The volunteer will support our art teacher on Fridays, our library staff and may also be required to assist students with the learning and development of sporting activities each week.
- What are the requirements? Good English, communication skills and are desire to work with young children is preferred. Further eligibility requirements can be found under the ‘Requirements’ section below.
- Who will this suit? Having a positive, pleasant attitude and the ability to work well with children is imperative.
- Location? Brisbane, Queensland
- Duration? Applicants can apply to volunteer for a semester with Patricks Road
- More information: www.patrroadss.eq.edu.au